My design philosophy combines traditional graphic design and information design together, as a single process, informed by a thorough technical knowledge of interactive technologies. The following principles guide my design process.
Create a Participatory Experience
- Coordinate with traditional-media materials without sharing their limitations. Interactive media should be more than an on-screen print document.
- Create an inviting, professional graphical style that reflects well on the client and targets specific goals.
- Make motion and interactivity part of the design from the earliest sketches, rather than simply adding technology after the design is done.
- Choose an appropriate interaction style, from fun and exploratory to explicit and businesslike. Incorporate variety and interest without creating confusion.
- Never let special effects and clutter distract or delay the user.
Understand Your Users and Their Motivations
- Anticipate their needs, and guide them subtly toward the actions the client wants them to take.
- Carefully prioritize what information is most imporant and what actions the user is meant to take.